Sunday is one of my busiest days of the week. Between working at the farmers market, grocery shopping and errands the last thing I usually want to do is cook. Lately we have been getting take out or going out which is killing our budget. This week I resolved to plan ahead and break the cycle. The easiest option was to throw together a crockpot meal.
It has been awhile since we had chili and with SuperBowl Sunday right around the corner I decided to share this chicken chili recipe with you folks! I used both white and dark meat but you could go with whatever your personal preference is. I started the chicken before I went to work, then added the rest of the ingredients once I was home. By dinner time we had a hot delicious meal and the clean up was super easy too!
the new Mrs. B
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, combination white and dark meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 6 cups water
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can chili beans
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken, onion, garlic, seasonings and water to crock pot; cook on low 6 hours. Carefully shred chicken with a fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low 2 more hours. Serve hot with desired toppings.