A few weeks ago I found several boxes of pre-made pie crust marked down the store and couldn’t resist the temptation of a good deal. Once home I knew I wanted to make hand pies but had no idea what kind of filling. I polled my Facebook fans to see if you folks wanted sweet or savory… it was a resounding TIE! Apparently everyone loves pie… lol
As usual I rummaged around the fridge/pantry to see what I had to work with. The sweet pies were easy, check out these guys~ Cherry Cheesecake Hand Pies. The savory were a little more difficult, there were legitimately too many options! The only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted a pie you could dip… and something that would be a hit on #gameday!
Once I stopped pulling my hair out I chatted up my blogger bud Michelle over at The Complete Savorist, she is an awesome sounding board for new foodie projects. We ran through a gamut of ideas and did nothing but crank up our taste buds! In the end practicality won out, I had sweet Italian chicken sausage that was only going to last another day or two before going bad. Add sun-dried tomatoes, a ton of cheese and we are in business.
Be sure to drain your ricotta, the last thing you want is soggy hand pies. I served these bad boys with a side of my homemade pizza sauce but you could use your favorite marinara. The filling can be made ahead of time which will cut down on the cooking time when you make these for Super Bowl Sunday. I stuffed my pies with as much filling as possible but you might be a little left over, feel free to eat it straight out of the bowl just like I did!
the new Mrs. B
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8 ounces sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons finely diced sundried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese, drained
- 2 refrigerated piecrusts (1 box contains 2)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats, set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and sausage. Break up sausage into fine pieces; cook 5-6 minutes. Stir in sundried tomatoes, Italian seasoning and red pepper flake; cook 3-4 minutes. Remove mixture from skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a medium bowl stir together mozzarella, Parmesan, ricotta cheese and sausage mixture until well blended. Set aside.
- Roll 1 piecrust out on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch thick. Use a 3 inch biscuit cutter or glass to cut out 12 circles of dough. Roll out scraps if needed to get 12 rounds. Repeat with second piecrust.
- Place 6 rounds on each baking sheet. Evenly divide sausage and cheese mixture between pies, approximately 2-3 tablespoons each. Place remaining dough on each pie, crimp edges with a fork to seal. Cut a slit in each hand pie.
- In a small bowl whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water, brush each pie with egg wash. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with a side of marinara or pizza sauce.