4 lbs. bone-in, skinless chicken pieces
2 large dried ancho chilies
1 cup pineapple juice
2-3 cloves garlic
½ a small onion
1½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. each salt and black pepper
½ tsp. red pepper flake
Zest & juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Place dried chilies in a bowl, cover with boil water and let sit for approximately 10-15 minutes until softened. Remove seeds and stems.
2. Put all ingredients in a blender (except the chicken) and mix thoroughly. I actually drained my chilies & put everything in the same bowl, then mixed with my immersion blender!
3. Pour marinade into a large zippered bag, add chicken and shake to coat thoroughly. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Place chicken pieces and marinade in a large roasting pan. Roast chicken for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees; continue to roast until internal temperature is 165 degrees approximately 30-35 minutes. Baste with juices a few times throughout the cooking process.
6. Remove chicken from roaster and pour the pan juices/marinade into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half, approximately 10 minutes. Serve sauce with chicken.
*I used 4 chicken quarters, separated. Marinade is great with steak or pork as well.