These kid-friendly Baked Carnitas Empanadas are full of tasty carnitas, seasoned rice and plenty of melty cheese in a flaky crust.
Baked Carnitas Empanadas
Last weekend we had friends over to celebrate Paul’s birthday and of course there was plenty of food! He is working 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week recently which means pretty much everything else in our life is falling on my shoulders.
Not that I mind… much. It takes everything we have everyday to build this business. And it’s an incredible opportunity I wouldn’t give up. Even if that means I feel like a mad-woman most days!
But back to our party and the food. I will give you three guesses what we had. Ok, if you follow the blog you can probably figure it out in one guess… TACOS! Yep, the casa crew’s favorite. I made a batch of ground beef taco meat, shredded chipotle chicken, homemade queso, roasted salsa and these delicious Baked Carnitas Empanadas. Rice, beans and more toppings than you can count rounded out the menu!
I kept joking that the party was sponsored by Del Real Foods (it really wasn’t, but felt like it) because I had so much food left over from the Del Real Recipe Challenge we needed to eat ASAP. The casa fridge looked more like a Mexican restaurant walk-in than normal! lol
These super easy Baked Carnitas Empanadas were a party hit and took no time to make. Plus they are the perfect party-sized bite, and easy for little hands to manage too.
You just mix slow cooked carnitas and arroz with plenty of cheese and some salsa then stuff it into little rounds of pie crust. Since I was making so many other ingredients for the party from scratch I felt ok using all store-bought ingredients for this recipe.
The Del Real Challenge voting site goes live on May 9th! Stay tuned so you can vote for my recipe!
- 2 packages prepared pie crust (4 crusts)
- 1 package Del Real Carnitas
- 1 package Del Real Arroz
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup Del Real Salsa de Molcajete Roja
- 1 egg plus water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Roughly chop carnitas, add to a large bowl.
- Mix in rice, cheese and salsa, stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water, set aside.
- Roll pie crust out on a lightly floured surface. Use a 4 inch biscuit cutter or bottom of a glass to cut 5-6 dough rounds. Evenly space dough on baking trays. Repeat with remaining pie crusts.
- Spoon desired amount of filling onto a round. Brush edge with egg wash. Fold round in half over filling, pinch edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough rounds. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until golden brown.