Spicy Cheese Sauce~
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups whole milk
3 oz. American cheese (3 slices)
2 ¼ cups shredded Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese blend (reserve ¼ for topping)
¼ cup sour cream
½ cup medium salsa
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add flour & cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened slightly, whisking frequently.
2. Cut cheese slices into pieces and add to sauce. Stir until melted. Add 2 cups shredded cheese, stirring until thoroughly blended together.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and salsa. Set aside.
½ lb. ground beef
½ lb. pork chorizo
1 small onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 medium jalapeno, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp taco seasoning** see recipe below
½ cup beef stock
1 can pinto beans, drained
1. Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and brown, remove meat from pot & drain in a colander over a bowl. Add ground beef and brown, remove and drain. Set meat aside.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno to pot, sautéing in the meat drippings. Salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes until the veggies are tender.
3. Add the meat back into the pot. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and cook another 1-2 minutes mixing thoroughly. Pour in the beef stock; make sure to scrape up all the browned bits in the bottom of the pot. Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in drained pinto beans.
**Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 2 tortillas in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Layer ingredients starting with half the meat/bean mixture on the bottom. Pour on a third of the cheese sauce, and then top with remaining meat/bean mix. Layer with another third of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Bake until bubbly, approximately 30 minutes.
Use as burrito/taco filling, serve over tortillas chips or use to make taco salads. Use the remaining cheese sauce for nachos or to garnish burritos/tacos!
**Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix~ http://casadelacargill.blogspot.com/2014/02/homemade-taco-seasoning-mix.html