This Caliente Chicken Sausage Chili is a lean, mean, pepper-filled bowl of veggie goodness. Caliente chicken sausage in a spicy enchilada broth filled with corn, beans and peppers.
Caliente Chicken Sausage Chili
My husband Paul is pretty laid back about food. He’s willing to try most things once, unless it involves soggy bread. That is a deal breaker. He’s a meat-eater. Likes things spicy and buys into the idea of #MeatlessMonday.
I can usually get away with 2-3 meatless meals during the week before he starts getting restless.
Earlier this month I posted a recipe for Vegetable Enchilada Tortellini Soup made from a random concoction of items from the casa kitchen. I knew Paul wouldn’t be thrilled with soup for too long so I made half the veggie base in this Caliente Chicken Sausage Chili.
We topped it with a chile lime creme and grated Monterey Jack cheese.
What is your favorite recipe made 2 ways?
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound caliente chicken sausage
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large covered Dutch oven.
- Add caliente chicken sausage to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and onion to pan, cook, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and peppers, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings, cook 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and stock, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add corn and beans, bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with desired garnish.