This super spicy Caliente Chicken Skillet Mac and Cheese is a one-pan fiesta for your taste buds! Caliente chicken sausage with peppers and tender elbow macaroni in a spicy pepper jack cheese sauce.
Caliente Chicken Skillet Mac and Cheese
Happy Cinco de Mayo! This is probably one of our favorite foodie holidays. Mostly because the casa crew will use any excuse to consumer tacos and tequila!
But are tacos really the only thing you want to eat today? Because mac and cheese comes a close second to tacos in my book. So why not add a super bold, ridiculously easy mac and cheese to the mix.
I find caliente chicken sausages at my local natural food market which are simply ground chicken with a dash of seasoning, a variety of diced bell peppers and onions.
Most grocery store butchers are going to have some sort of spicy chicken sausage you can use. If not then sub ground chicken and add diced onions and peppers.
I make a killer Caliente Chicken Spaghetti too! Be sure to check it out!
- 1 pound caliente chicken sausage
- (substitute 1 pound ground chicken, ¼ cup diced bell pepper & ¼ cup diced onion)
- ½ tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat a large cover skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock and hot sauce, scrape bits off bottom of skillet.
- Mix in macaroni, bring to a low boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in half and half, simmer 1-2 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Mix in cheese, stirring until melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.