My Charred Broccoli Pesto Grilled Cheese has crispy pancetta and thick slices of local tomatoes layered with melty white American and gooey Fontina cheeses on buttery grilled white bread slathered with my flavorful broccoli pesto.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a big hit with the casa crew. We love everything from classic American cheese on white sandwich bread, the kind many of us grew up with,
Last week I made a batch of Charred Broccoli Pesto and fell in love with the amazingly, savory flavor. I dipped my way through a bowl in no time, gobbling it up with locally made garlic pita chips while sipping a glass of wine. Did I mention it is divine?
I figured if it was that good when I made it, a few days in the fridge would only enhance the yumminess. And I was right! For lunch today I smeared it on thick white bread, fresh from the corner bakery, layered it with my favorite white American cheese (the good stuff I have them cut in the deli) and Fontina cheese.
This stuff was designed for a grilled cheese sandwich. The slightly sweet, nutty flavors that develop when you char the broccoli just beg to be wrapped in melty, gooey cheesiness… And don’t forget the pancetta! or my favorite local tomatoes *ahhh, heavenly*
What is your favorite kind of grilled cheese? Share your gooiest goodies in the comments!
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pieces thick-cut bakery white bread
- 2 slices white American cheese
- 1 ounce Fontina cheese, sliced
- 2 thick slices tomato
- 3 tablespoon Charred Broccoli Pesto
- 2 slices cooked pancetta (substitute bacon)
- Heat a large covered skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in skillet.
- Assemble sandwich with ingredients layered in desired order.
- Place sandwich in skillet, cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and melted. Cover skillet with lid if desired while cooking to help the cheese melt.