This Cheesy Ham Broccoli Potato Skillet is comfort food at it’s finest! Fresh, local veggies combined with savory ham in a creaming cheese sauce.
Cheesy Ham Broccoli Potato Skillet
The last few days have been pretty draining. The kid came home early from work Sunday because he was sick and just went back to school today. He may be 18 now but like many males, as soon as he gets sick he turns into a big baby!
Between that and organizing things around the casa I am wore out. I’m pretty sure he passed his germs on to me too… I spent half the night coughing up a storm after crashing out super early.
Monday night the last thing I wanted to do was spend a ton of time in the casa kitchen. One thing I love about the new place is the extra storage space. Enough space that I finally having all my cookware/pantry items in one place. In the old apartment my only option was to keep extras in the spare closet!
The move really forced me to get uber organized and the results are wonderful!
This Cheesy Ham Broccoli Potato Skillet was really easy to throw together with some of the fresh veggies from Sunday’s farmers market trip. Locally grown Yukon gold potatoes and broccoli pair perfectly with chunks of salty ham and a creamy cheese sauce.
My favorite way to cook broccoli is similar to a stir fry. I cut the florets into bite-sized pieces, toss them with a little extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss them into a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They get tender-crisp, slightly charred and a beautiful bright green.
No mushy veggies here folks!
The skillet was a really hit and just the comfort food we needed after a long day. Yeah, there were other things going on that day but I will tell you more about that in another post… Let’s just say it was an emotionally stressful time all the way around.
What is your favorite kind of comfort food?
- 1 large head fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3-4 large Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 small ham steaks, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large covered cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl toss broccoli with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently until tender-crisp and slight charred. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil in skillet.
- Add potatoes, ham, onions and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in stock and scrape bits off bottom of skillet.
- Bring to a low boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in milk and cheese. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in broccoli and serve immediately.