Chili Cheese Meatball Skillet ~ Step up your weeknight dinner game with these tender cheesy meatballs in a rich, chili sauce. #MeatballMonday
~ Chili Cheese Meatball Skillet ~
Whether you are looking for a quick weeknight meal or the perfect playoff snack, this Chili Cheese Meatball Skillet is right up your alley.
For the last few weeks we have been inundated with holiday recipes galore. I love a good holiday meal as much as the next gal but I am really ready for the new year. The fun, the great times with friends and new beginnings.
The secret ingredient in these melt-in-your-mouth meatballs is not just the cheese, or the rich chili sauce they simmer in but the chili cheese corn chips! Yep, that’s right… rather than use breadcrumbs in the meatballs crunchy corn chips really amp up the chili cheese flavor.
I love that you can eat these chili cheese meatballs alone as an appetizer, serve them over rice or noodles or even make fun sliders for your next party. You can even prep them ahead of time and store them in the freezer for a quick, last-minute dinner idea.
What is your favorite kind of meatball for parties? Are you looking forward to the new year?
- For the meatballs~
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- ¾ cup crushed chili cheese corn chips
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- For the chili sauce~
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients for meatballs to a large bowl. Mix together without overworking.
- Divide evenly and roll into meatballs.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil, onions and garlic to skillet. Sautee 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and seasonings. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil.
- Add meatballs, cover skillet and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer covered 15 minutes until meatballs are tender and sauce thickens.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with grated cheese and simmer 4-5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.