A spicy bowl of Chipotle Butternut Squash Risotto is the perfect side dish for all your favorite fall meals. Creamy risotto is combined with seasonal butternut squash, chipotle peppers and tangy Manchego cheese.
Chipotle Butternut Squash Risotto
Well it’s September and I feel like it should be fall, but the weather in Phoenix won’t cooperate with the idea for several more weeks.
But with fall already happening around us, aka Halloween decorations and pumpkin spice everything, I couldn’t resist sharing this Chipotle Butternut Squash Risotto as we transition from summer.
This recipe does take a little patience but I promise it is absolutely worth it! My Creamy Smoked Gouda Risotto recipe is also a real crowd pleaser!
What’s your favorite risotto recipe? Are you a butternut squash fan?
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced fresh or frozen butternut squash
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, finely minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1.4 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add squash, shallot, garlic and chipotle to skillet. Cook 8-10 minutes until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place mixture in a food processor and pulse to blend completely. Set aside.
- Reduce heat slightly, add remaining oil to skillet.
- Stir in rice, toast 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add wine and simmer until almost absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Mix squash puree completely with rice.
- Add ½ cup stock, stirring until absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock in ½ cup increments.
- Adjust stock to reach desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese and serve immediately.