I have been obsessed with skillet meals lately and this deliciously tangy Cilantro Lime Chicken& Rice Skillet is definitely in my top 3 favorites! It is light, filling and so easy to make.
We had such a fun, busy day last Sunday at the Arizona Science Center viewing the Gridiron exhibit that I was exhausted when we got home. You can read about our day here and also enter to win free tickets to the view the exhibit yourself!
We were there so long that we missed lunch earlier in the day, so on the way home Mr. B and I ravenously discussed what to have for dinner. I knew right away there were no leftovers and the boys had pretty much devoured all the sandwich fixings over the weekend. My go-to quick meal option lately has been skillet meals so I mentally began scrounging through the kitchen for options.
There was a little bit of cooked chicken in the fridge and southwest dishes are always a hit at the casa. My husband truly believes he can put anything in a tortilla! I wanted something light yet filling with tons of flavor. Corn, black beans, limes and cilantro came to mind, this was getting good…
Once home I threw everything together and had dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes with only 1 pan to clean up. Exactly what my tired body needed on Sunday evening. This skillet is very versatile. You can use it as a burrito filling, eat it alone, in a lettuce wrap or even on top of a simple salad. Extra lime wedges on the side are a good idea too.
the new Mrs. B
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large cast iron or covered skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions and jalapeno, sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in chicken, rice and cumin; cook 2-3 minutes until rice is translucent.
- Stir in chicken stock; scrape bits off bottom of skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 8 minutes.
- Mix in black beans and corn. Simmer uncovered 4-5 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in lime juice, zest and cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.