These Copycat Meximelts are simply ah-may-zing… beefy, cheesy and full of fresh pico de gallo.
It’s Tuesday and I need tacos after days of Thanksgiving leftovers! I love the idea of aTaco Bell but to be honest I just can’t stomach it anymore. Every few months I give it a shot but I always pay for it, the heartburn is brutal… This is one of those times when a remake at home is completely necessary.Simply ah-may-zing Copycat Meximelts #tacotuesday #copycat #recipe Click To Tweet
I use my homemade taco seasoning but you could definitely substitute your own or use store-bought. We are obsessed with fresh local ingredients so of course I made the pico from scratch. You can make these in the oven which will give you a crispier taco but ultimately nuking them in the microwave makes the most authentic remake.
the new Mrs. B
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup beef stock (substitute chicken stock or water)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 1 cup grated Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef, taco seasoning and beef stock, stirring to break up beef. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Spoon an even amount of beef on each tortilla. Top with cheese and salsa. Fold tortillas in half. Working in batches microwave approximately 1 minute to melt cheese. Serve immediately.