Pack a ton of flavor into one skillet with this Creamy Italian Chicken Sausage Penne Skillet. Savory Italian chicken sausage and al dente penne pasta in a rich creamy tomato sauce topped with a blend of Italian cheeses and fresh basil.
Creamy Italian Chicken Sausage Penne Skillet
We are on the final countdown to our move! Saturday we met with our new landlord, walked through the new casa and finalized the new paperwork. Wow, that’s a lot of new newness… And we are so damn excited about it!
It’s a bigger, better space for less money plus the guy we are renting from is super nice and Paul has known him for years. We have struggled for months… with each other emotionally, with everyone else financially, and just physically in the limited space we have. This is the opportunity we need to take our next step.
End emotional rant, insert delicious food.
So this skillet came about last week while I was prepping for my TV segments. I was super rushed on time and needed to get dinner made fast. We are big fans of sweet Italian chicken sausage and I had leftover jarred sauce from my Spicy Italian Sausage Crostini.
But we didn’t want a basic red sauce so in went sweet onions, a ton of fresh garlic and heavy cream. Yes, heavy cream… it really adds creaminess. *eye roll* And reminds me of the lasagna we get at our fave local Italian place where they smother everything in a rich béchamel that is divine.
Topping this Creamy Italian Chicken Sausage Penne Skillet with a fancy shmancy Italian cheese blend and fresh basil from the farmers market completed the dish. Needless to say this skillet meal was a hit with the casa crew.
If you actually read this post please comment below just for the hell of it!
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, mince
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grate Italian cheese blend
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- Heat oil in a large covered skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, onions and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce and stock. Mix in pasta.
- Bring to a low boil. cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and simmer 2-3 more minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Remove from heat, top with cheese and fresh basil. Serve hot.