French Country Apple Stuffing ~ Crusty chucks of baguette, savory french country apple chicken sausage, tart green apples and cranberries baked into a tender, golden brown casserole.
I have been a little obsessed with the different flavored sausages at the store lately. You know the ones, you can usually get them for about $1 from the butcher. The fancy ones are my favorite, I just posted a Caliente Chicken Spaghetti that uses chicken sausage stuffed with onions, peppers, spices and fresh herbs.
The french country apple chicken sausage in French Country Apple Stuffing has been taunting me for a while. For the longest time I wasn’t sure what to make, then with the impending holidays it hit me…
Let’s add local apples, fresh herbs and cranberries to make a delicious holiday stuffing. Or dressing depending on preference. There is a ton of sage, a little thyme and plenty of veggies in this delicious casserole. The bread is a quality Italian baguette I get from the farmers market.
Use homemade or unsalted chicken stock when can, it helps control the salt content. I made this the night before to really let it set up, then baked it the next day. Traditional onions and celery are a great compliment to the apples and cranberries.
What is your favorite kind of stuffing? Or do you call it dressing? lol
- 1 pound apple chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 large green apples, chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 8 cups toasted or dried bread chunks, approximately ½ inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 4-5 cup chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage and break up; cook 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in onions, celery and cranberries; cook 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together break chunks, sautéed veggies, apples and herbs.
- Mix pumpkin pie spice into stock. Pour over bread mixture and stir to combine throughly.
- Transfer to baking dish and dot with butter. Cover with foil and let sit at least an hour, preferably refrigerate overnight.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes, Remove foil and bake to desired consistency, 15-20 more minutes.