I am loving this #glutenfree version of a Midwest favorite. Gluten Free Chipotle Chili Mac has chili made with black beans and Gardein Ultimate Beefless Ground in a rich, chipotle chili sauce spooned over gluten free macaroni. Top with cheese, diced tomatoes and chopped green onions for a hearty, guilt-free meal.
Gluten Free Chipotle Chili Mac
It’s fun to introduce the guys to regional dishes I grew up with in Illinois. Paul was born and raised in Arizona and the kid was 2 when we moved here so neither one has had much exposure to cuisines found east of the Mississippi. Chili Mac, sometimes called Cincinnati Chili, is a great dish made of macaroni smothered in chili then topped with cheese.
We have been eating more meatless meals lately, but I need to be a little sneaky about it. If I tell the guys something is meatless or gluten free or vegetarian they tend to have a biased opinion before tasting it. We had this delicious Gluten Free Chili Mac earlier this week made with the Ultimate Beefless Ground from Gardein and neither one could tell it was meatless!
Gardein (garden + protein) is a plant protein brand offering a variety of delicious, convenient and versatile foods. They make delicious, convenient and healthier versions of the foods we all love. There are over 20 different Gardein products and so far we have tried the Ultimate Beefless Ground, Golden Fishless Filets and Teriyaki Chick’n Strips.
The Ultimate Beefless Ground was perfect for this chili along with black beans and spicy southwest flavors. I love to add chipotle flavors to my dishes. Check out my Chipotle Honey Roasted Parsnips for a sweet and spicy holiday side dish.
Rather than use adobe sauce in this recipe I added chipotle chili powder which adds a savory kick. It doesn’t take the beefless ground long to cook so adding the seasonings in with the veggies first help develop the flavors. I really love how quickly this chili came together. It really is great for a busy weeknight meal!
What is your favorite meatless meal?
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- small onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen Gardein Ultimate Beefless Ground
- 2 cups dried gluten-free macaroni noodles
- 1 cup grated cheese of choice
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2-3 green onions, finely sliced (green part only)
- In a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and pepper(s), cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings and brown sugar, stir to combine throughly. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-12 minutes until slightly thickened.
- While sauce simmers, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, toss with ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and set aside.
- Stir beans and beefless ground into sauce, simmer 3-4 minutes until heated through.
- Serve chili over pasta; top with grated cheese, diced tomato and chopped green onions.