Smokey green chiles take breakfast to a whole new level in this Green Chile Sausage Gravy. Hot breakfast sausage and diced green chiles in a creamy, southern-style white gravy with plenty of black and red pepper. Perfect over toast, homemade biscuits or spooned over breakfast burritos.
Sausage gravy is one of the few dishes my mom taught me to make as a kid. She always used the same brand of hot breakfast sausage, and it had to be the hot stuff, with whole milk and plenty of black pepper. There were no exact measurements, you just got a feel for the amounts after making it enough.
Over the years I adapted the the ‘recipe’ by adding a little half and half or even heavy cream for extra creaminess. Hot breakfast sausage is still the cornerstone of the gravy and I amp it up even more by adding a healthy does of red pepper flake.
Somewhere along the way I got the bright idea to add green chiles to the gravy, something we happily celebrate on a regular basis in the fall. Spoon it over your favorite biscuits or even smoother a breakfast burrito in it. However you decide to serve it, I promise your family will love this dish as much as mine does!
What is your family recipe for sausage gravy? Share your tips in the comments!
- 1 pound hot breakfast sausage
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup half & half, room temperature
- 2-3 cups whole milk, room temperature
- Salt to taste
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sausage, break into small crumbles with a wooden spoon or spatula and cook 6 minutes.
- Stir in green chiles, black pepper and red pepper flake. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and sprinkle in flour. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
- While stirring, slowly pour in half & half.
- Stir in 2 cups milk and reduce heat to low. Simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add additional milk to reach desired consistency. Salt to taste.