1½ cups whole milk
1½ cups heavy cream
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
⅛ tsp. salt
2 cups fresh mint
½ cup crushed Double Chocolate Milano Cookies (approximately 4 cookies)
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add milk and heavy cream to pan. Stir in sugar, vanilla, mint and salt, continue to stir until sugar is melted and mixture is warm but not boiling. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes, this allows the cream to become infused with mint.
2. Strain the cream mixture to remove the mint leaves. Heat the mixture back to medium low.
3. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks for 1 minute. Continue to whisk and slowly add a ladle full of the warm cream mixture into the eggs. Repeat with a second ladle of warm cream. Next slowly stir the warm egg mixture back into the saucepan of cream. (This is called tempering)
4. Continue to cook the cream mixture for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and cool in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
5. When the base is thoroughly chilled, pour it into your ice cream maker, freezing according to the machine’s directions. After the ice cream has been churning for about 15 minutes carefully add the cookie pieces and chocolate chips.
6. Once frozen put in a freezer storage container and place in freezer until firm. Approximately 1-2 hours.
Prep/Cook Time~ 40 minutes
Sit Time~ 3-4 hours
The following local vendors contributed to this recipe~