Most food bloggers will tell you that there are 2 kinds of recipes… The ones we meticulously plan out from from start to finish, snap pictures of throughout the cooking process and create for a purpose. The other ones are the happy accidents. It might be a busy weeknight where various ingredients get tossed together to make an amazing dish or a random weekend afternoon cooking with friends.
Either way the results are delicious and we want to share them with our followers. The downside is we aren’t prepared to present the dish in our usual spectacular fashion. Maybe there is bad lighting or everyone devours your creation before you can elbow in for a quick pic. This Brussels sprout side dish was a happy accident for me. Several months ago I picked up a bottle of Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar from Petrou Foods at the farmers market. It ended up in the pantry and kinda got lost in the madness.
When I was testing holiday recipes I came across it and decided to give it a try. Pancetta, Brussels sprouts and a fresh pomegranate completed the assemble. If you can’t find pomegranate flavored balsamic vinegar at your local store, you can buy it online or make your own. Of course the recipe was amazing and of course I didn’t document the process very well! lol
My awesome foodie friend The Complete Savorist is getting ready to publish a Brussels sprout round up and asked me if I wanted to join the party. It was just the kick-in-the-pants I needed to share this delicious recipe!
the new Mrs. B
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate balsamic vinegar*
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss Brussels sprouts with oil and place on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper. Roast 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- While sprouts roast heat a large non-skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook 3-4 minutes. Add pomegranate balsamic vinegar and cook 4-5 more minutes until slightly reduced.
- Add roasted sprouts and pomegranate seeds to a large bowl. Pour in pancetta vinegar mixture and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.
- *substitute 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice