This Pork Verde Stroganoff Skillet is a one pan dish that puts a southwest spin on classic comfort food. Savory pork and tender egg noodles simmered in a salsa verde sour cream sauce.
Pork Verde Stroganoff Skillet
I can remember my mom making beef stroganoff when I was a kid with canned soup and zero fresh veggies. Needless to say it wasn’t my favorite dish until someone made it from scratch for me. Talk about a complete revelation!
It’s also a great recipe for a little southwest infusion! The kid isn’t a mushroom fan so I came up with this Pork Verde Stroganoff Skillet as the best of our two worlds. It’s also easy enough that the kid knows how to prepare it himself.
And that makes it a great Día del Niño dish. April 30th is Día del Niño, or Day of the Child, a festive holiday celebrated in Mexican and many Latin American cultures to honor and appreciate children. It’s a time for families to remember the joys of childhood.
HERDEZ® products, the number one selling salsa in Mexico, are a great addition to recipes like my Pork Verde Stroganoff Skillet. I love their outstanding commitment to authenticity in both food and culture. Plus an understanding their understanding that beloved family traditions start in the kitchen.
This is the kid’s last few months at home before he heads to basic training so any time we have with him is precious. Combining that with traditional holidays from Paul’s culture is a way to family memories which will last a lifetime.
Enter the on the HERDEZ® Brand Facebook and Instagram social channels a chance to win one of the following prizes:
– Grand Prize: 2 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $1000
– 2nd Place: 1 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $300
– 3rd Place: Child cooking gift basket
– Weekly prizes/honorable mentions: Child size Día del Niño apron.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound pork for stew or pork loin cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- ½ cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large covered skillet over medium high heat. Salt and pepper pork pieces, add to skillet.
- Sear on all sides, 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add onion and garlic, sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in salsa verde, simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in stock, noodles and pork.
- Bring to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 6-7 minutes.
- Mix sour cream and flour together in a small bowl, stir into skillet. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in cilantro, garnish with sour cream and serve hot.