Several weeks ago I was invited to participate in the Healthy Solutions Spice Blends 2015 Blogger Recipe Challenge. Only 100 bloggers were chosen to submit recipes! Each blogger selected a spice blend and was challenged with creating a delicious and exciting new recipe.
After browsing the available choices I instinctively picked the Bold Beef Rub. Big surprise right… a spice blend with bold southwest flavors, naturally that is right up our alley. I immediately began to toss around recipe ideas, asking Mr.B and the kid what sounded good.
Then life got in the way. And I knew I needed to create a recipe. But nothing sounded right. More time went by. I kept telling the guys I needed to get on this project. We all knew I was officially stuck. Inspiration had abandoned me.
Luckily I was saved by necessity. Two weeks ago we were scheduled to attend the opening of a new exhibit at Sea Life Arizona which was on Thursday night. We were just coming out of 2 weeks worth of Spring Break (of course the teenagers had separate weeks off) and the next few weeks were packed full of blogger events. The farmers market was closed one weekend, the next weekend Mr.B and I snuck up north for a weekend with my in-laws.
Basically I was desperate for a low maintenance, delicious recipe. The little voice in my head kept whispering things about 2 birds and 1 stone… We needed dinner, I needed a new recipe.
Beef tri-tip is a relatively low fat, full flavor cut of beef. Typically we braise or grill the meat, then thinly slice it. In this case I grabbed my trusty slower cooker (a great way to get big flavors with minimal effort), prepped the beef in the morning then tossed it in the pot and walked away. Healthy Solutions Spice Blends made it easy because all my flavor was in one convenient healthy package.
Before we left for Sea Life Arizona I made a creamy corn salsa. Mr. B was a little skeptical at first until I rationalized his fears away. People love corn salsa. A lot of those same people put sour cream on their tacos, tostadas, burritos, etc… Why not cut out the middle man and toss it all together?! lol
This salsa only gets better the longer it chills. Incorporating the spice blend into it was a genius idea, you will thank me later!
After the event I shredded the beef, fried corn tortillas, thinly sliced iceberg lettuce and we were all set for dinner. This the perfect weeknight meal because you can make everything ahead of time. It would be awesome for a game day event or pot luck. Mr.B loves corn tortillas but you could substitute flour tortillas, tostada shells or even lettuce wraps.
Which Healthy Solutions Spice Blend is your favorite?
the new Mrs.B
All qualified participants received one packet of Healthy Solutions Spice Blends of their choice to cook with for free. All opinions are my own.
- For the pulled tri-tip~
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped in big pieces
- ½ cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 2- 2½ pound beef tri-tip
- 2 tablespoons Healthy Solutions Bold Beef Rub
- For the corn salsa~
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Healthy Solutions Bold Beef Rub
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
- For the pulled tri-tip~ Place onions pieces in slow cooker; add stock. Rub tri-tip with spice blend, place meat on top of onions. Cook on low 6-8 hours until fall apart tender.
- Remove meat and onions from slow cooker. Shred meat and roughly chop onions. Return to slow cooker, toss with juices. Keep slow cooker on warm; serve as needed. Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For the corn salsa~ Add all salsa ingredients to a medium sized bowl; stir to combine thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill 30 minutes. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.