Did you know that today is National Soup Day? Personally I just found out yesterday… of course that means I was scrambling for a recipe to share with you folks. I thought about reposting an oldie but goodie like Chicken Orzo Soup or maybe Kitchen Sink Vegetable Soup but I really felt the need to be productive in the kitchen today.
You see, we recently found out that Mr. B is going to be working remotely from now on. He brought his equipment home yesterday to set up shop in the spare bedroom. We disabled our home network, reconfigured all the techie stuff and he is in business!
To honor our new career set-up I made a quick, flavorful Italian-inspired soup for lunch. Sweet Italian sausage, creamy cannellini beans and orzo in a light tomato sauce. It is kind of cool having a built-in taste tester here every day! We had one hour for lunch which was more than enough time to make this soup and enjoy a little convo over rich, steaming bowls of yumminess.
the new Mrs. B
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed garlic (1 large clove)
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup orzo pasta
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and sausage. Break sausage into large pieces; cook 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove excess fat from pot; leave approximately 1-2 tablespoons. Add shallots, crushed garlic, tomato paste and seasonings. Sauté 2-3 minutes, stir frequently.
- Pour in chicken stock; scrape bits off bottom of pot. Stir in beans, pasta and sausage. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil; reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.