This make-ahead Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple French Toast is full of fresh cranberries, apples and a spiced rum custard with a hint of orange.
Pair with a classic champagne cocktail for a seasonal brunch treat.
For the last few months I have cut back on my trips to the farmers market. It use to be a Sunday morning ritual, but with only 2 of us to feed we simply don’t need as much food!
Cranberry Apple French Toast
We make a trip every other Sunday and are even looking into a Thursday evening market that is closer to the new neighborhood.
Luckily most of our vendors work the local circuit, so we will still see the same faces. Plus the Thursday market is in a historic downtown area with plenty of our favorite local restaurants!
This change has opened up our weekends, which now include more sleeping in on Sunday! At least for my sleep-loving husband.
And great brunch recipes like my Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple French Toast.
I am a big fan of bread puddings or oven-baked french toast recipes, and this slow cooker adaptation is perfect for a lazy weekend morning!
And there is booze! Just like my Chocolate and Irish Cream Croissant Bread Pudding.
A bonus tip for leftovers… heat them up in your waffle iron for a crispy, delicious snack!
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread, slightly dried out
- 2 large sweet apples, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Juice and zest of 1 navel orange
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half and half
- ¼ cup spice rum
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl add apples, cranberries and orange juice, toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a extra-large bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Mix in bread cubes, stir to combine. Let rest at least 30 minutes.
- Layer bread mixture and fruit in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 2-3.
- Serve warm.