Southwest Chicken Chili and Biscuit Skillet combines two dinner favorites into one skillet. Southwest chicken chili surrounded by tender, flaky biscuits with hints of melty cheese and spicy jalapeños.
Southwest Chicken Chili and Biscuit Skillet
Are you ready for the big game? We are getting down to the wire and as of last weekend our local team is a major contender for the title! I am still disappointed to have slept through most of the game, only waking up to see the winning touchdown by one of Paul’s favorite players.
My husband is Arizona born and raised, and a loyal fan to the Cardinals football team. It is a little funny for me because I grew up in Illinois and remember attending games when they were based in St. Louis!
The last thing any of us wants to do on game day is spend time slaving away in the kitchen. This Southwest Chicken Chili and Biscuit Skillet is the perfect halftime snack, or anytime for that matter. Progresso Southwest White Chicken Chili is a delicious shortcut, cutting down on your time hovering over the stove.
Members of the casa crew firmly believe chili demands biscuits. You can’t have one without the other. These spicy, cheesy drop biscuits are ridiculously easy to make and you can jazz them up with your favorite add-ins. I went with melty Monterey Jack cheese and pickled jalapeños for kick. And not the tame jalapeños, the hot ones!
Once you mix your biscuit dough, drop even spoonfuls around the outside of a 12-inch cast iron skillet. You can grease the pan lightly if you like but skillet is well seasoned and there is plenty of butter in the biscuits to keep them from sticking.
You could easily use a larger skillet and multiply this recipe for this Southwest Chicken Chili and Biscuit Skillet. Just make sure to double the amount of Progresso chili too! Find more halftime recipe inspiration by clicking the link below!
What are your plans for the big game? Is your team playing? Share your favorite chili recipe ideas in the comments!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons mince pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 package Progresso Southwest White Chicken Chili
- Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- Red pepper flake for garnish, optional
- Mexican creme for garnish, optional
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Ina large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in cheese and jalapeños.
- Add butter and cut into flour using a pasty cutter or forks. Butter should be approximately pea sized.
- Stir in milk until just combined, do not over mix.
- Drop dough in even spoonfuls around outside of skillet.
- Pour chili into center of dough.
- Bake 17-20 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro, red pepper flake and Mexican creme or sour cream.