Your favorite sandwich will never be the same once you dress it up with my Spicy Garlic Quick Pickles packed full of garlic flavor with a real kick. This weekend visit your local farmers market for the fresh ingredients you need to make this favorite summer treat.
Cucumbers are in season so I have been pickling up a storm lately. One of my favorite local farms in Arizona, On the Vine Farms, has the best pickling cukes. Those crispy green beauties just keep showing up in my farmers market basket each weekend. Pickles are by far one of my favorite snacks so it works for us. I make a variety of different types of pickles but these Spicy Garlic Quick Pickles are by far a casa favorite. The bestie and I developed this recipe months ago on one of our wine-Mondays.
Spicy Garlic Quick Pickles
Lots and lots and lots of garlic is what makes these guys so yummy. And plenty of red pepper flake for heat. Black peppercorns and mustard seed round them out. They pair perfectly with my Mustard Thyme Pulled Pork Sandwiches. My best advice when it comes to pickling any vegetable, is to play around with the brine. Once you master the basic salt/water/sweetener idea you can go on to more inventive recipes like these 3 Quick Pickling Recipes.
- 2 pounds pickling or Kirby cucumbers, slice to desired thickness
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flake
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pack cucumbers into 2 16-ounce jars. Divide garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed and red pepper flake equally between jars.
- In a small saucepan add water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a low boil, cook until sugar dissolves.
- Pour brine into each jar until veggies are covered. Cool, cover and store in the refrigerator. Pickles will be ready in 1-2 hours.