This hearty, nutrient-dense Steak Fajita Kale Skillet Salad is full of savory grilled flavors and bold textures. Serve warm with a drizzle of Ancho Chile Vinaigrette, fresh tomatoes and a squeeze of lime.
Steak Fajita Kale Skillet Salad
When I was in the trauma unit after the accident last week, they did a mess of blood work and discovered I am extremely anemic. In fact the attending said my hemoglobin levels were ‘shockingly low.’
So in addition to taking daily supplements I am adding more natural nutrient sources into my diet with recipes like this Steak Fajita Kale Skillet Salad.
The beef adds a healthy dose of iron, while the kale adds all kinds of wonderful antioxidant-loving goodness including Vitamin C which helps your body absorb iron!
Top it all with a drizzle of my simple delicious Ancho Chile Vinaigrette and you are good to go. And maybe pair this Steak Fajita Kale Skillet Salad with a nice glass of your favorite red wine.
- Canola oil
- ½ pound skirt or flank steak
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 cups roughly chopped curly kale
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Ancho Chile Vinaigrette
- Heat a large lightly oiled cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Generously season steak with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet, sear 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove, set aside on a plate to rest.
- Add onion and pepper strips to skillet. Cook 5-6 minutes, tossing occasionally with tongs. Remove and set aside with steak.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons oil to skillet.
- Add kale and cabbage, squeeze half of lime over greens. Grill 3-4 minutes until slightly wilted and charred, stirring frequently.
- Place greens in a large bowl. Top with steak and grilled vegetables.
- Drizzle with desired amount of Ancho Chile Vinaigrette, toss to combine thoroughly.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, a squeeze of lime juice and serve warm.