This Vegetable Enchilada Tortellini Soup is packed full of local vegetables, hearty beans and tender cheese tortellini in a spicy enchilada broth.
Vegetable Enchilada Tortellini Soup
Over the weekend I really, really needed to clean out the casa fridge before we hit up the farmers market on Sunday. Veggie soup is always at the top of my list when there are is a variety of produce together. Especially for #meatlessMonday
But my loving husband can only handle so many meatless meals before he starts to get a little cranky. So a big pot of veggie only soup wasn’t going to last us 2+ days for leftovers.
So I decide to split the veggie concoction in half. And I would like to note that the enchilada sauce was leftover as well. The stock for the only unopened package harmed during the making of this recipe.
Well actually two recipes; I added caliente chicken sausage to the other half of the soup base to make Caliente Chicken Sausage Chili for Paul. Everyone is happy and we got 2 different meals so leftovers didn’t really feel like leftovers.
Watch for the Caliente Chicken Sausage Chili recipe next week!
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large covered Dutch oven
- Add celery, carrots and onion, cook, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and peppers, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings, cook 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and stock, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Add corn, beans and tortellini, simmer 5 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Serve with desired garnish.