Enjoy Apple Cheddar Tostadas for a fun late night snack or after school treat. Crispy corn tostadas sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar then piled high with a warm apple compote and sharp cheddar cheese. Growing up in the midwest we didn’t eat a lot of Mexican food. My idea of south-of-the-border cuisine was late night Taco Bell and the occasional burrito from a local chain restaurant. It has been so long (about 20 years) that I can’t even remember the name of the place. [bctt tweet=”Apple Cheddar Tostadas #dessert #fall #apple #foodie”] What I do remember though is a dessert they served. It consisted of a crispy, cinnamon and sugar laden tostada shell topped with a gooey apple topping reminiscent of pie filling then sprinkled with finely grated cheddar cheese. They were so good, even now I remember the taste. I am one of those people who when I get a craving for something, I have to have it! I love to make copycat versions at home of my favorite guilty pleasures, like my Copycat Meximelts or Copycat White Castle Burgers… oh, my beloved belly bombers! Try these simple Apple Cheddar Tostadas and tell us what you think in the comments! Keep scrolling for delicious, 12 ingredient or less apple desserts from some of my favorite bloggers! Happy #snacking! Loriann
Apple Cheddar Tostadas
- 2 Fugi apples peeled and finely diced
- 1 green apple peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon divided
- 1/4 cup sugar divided
- Juice of 1 lemon approximately 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 6 corn tostadas
- 1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add apples, water, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook 8-10 minutes until apples are softened.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice and corn starch. Add to apple mixture, stir thoroughly. Cook 1-2 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush tostadas with melted butter, sprinkle with remaining cinnamon and sugar.
- Top tostadas with an even amount of warm apple topping and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.