I love pie. It is by far my favorite dessert, hands down. But I don’t like to make pie every time I get a craving, especially on the first lazy Saturday I’ve had in the last few weeks. Enter these yummy Blueberry Twists. [bctt tweet=”Blueberry Twists #spring #blueberry #pie”] If I am super motivated I will take my time in the casa kitchen making pie crust from scratch and preparing a fresh fruit filling. Lately though my baking has been limited to these ah-may-zing Lemon Blueberry Muffins that almost crashed the blog because of their popularity! Today I am taking the easy route, enjoying time with my husband and snacking my way through these Blueberry Twists. No blueberries on hand? Sub in whatever fruit you do have. Want to be really, really lazy? Spread your favorite preserves on the crust instead! Serve these Blueberry Twists with ice cream, whipped cream or even a vanilla Greek yogurt dip! Enjoy~ Loriann
- 1 14-ounce box refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice or water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Egg wash
- Cane sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add berries, sugar and juice. Simmer 6-7 minutes until berries burst and sauce thickens.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice and cornstarch. Stir into blueberry mixture. Simmer 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Roll pie crust into a rectangle shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Evenly spread half of filling over each pie crust. Fold each crust in half covering filling.
- Cut crust into 1 inch strips and twist, place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pie strips.
- Brush twists with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 7-8 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly and serve.