For the last several weeks the kid and I have been working at our neighborhood farmers market with On the Vine Farms, LLC. We visit with all kinds of customers; veteran market shoppers who visit religiously every weekend, folks picking up their CSA share and newbie foodies to name a few. This time of year the newbies flood the area, people with New Year’s Resolutions to buy fresh local produce and eat healthier. Currently we have a variety of greens available and customers often ask for ideas on how to prepare them.
I have been working on a series of recipes designed to give our customers ideas and want to share them with you guys too! Recently I published a Kale and Green Pea Shoot Pesto that was very popular, check it out here. This week I am focusing on a simple side dish using several of our seasonal greens.
I chose to sauté the greens in garlic infused browned butter but you could omit the butter and only use extra virgin olive oil for a vegan option. Arugula can be bitter and spicy so I used a little less than the other greens to offset the bite. Red Ursa kale is tender and wilts easily like the spinach. Shallots and red bell pepper add a mild sweetness to the dish.
Be sure to subscribe to the blog so that you don’t miss out on any new recipes!
the new Mrs. B
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups packed Red Ursa kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed arugula, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Add butter, oil and garlic cloves. Sauté until butter begins to brown and garlic is fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently to keep butter from burning.
- Remove garlic cloves and discard. Add shallot and red bell pepper; cook 3-4 more minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in chopped greens, mixing to coat in butter mixture. Continue to sauté until greens are wilted, 3-4 minutes stirring frequently. Drizzle in red wine vinegar and serve immediately.