It wouldn’t be Tuesday without tacos and these Chipotle Braised Short Rib Tacos are just what your dinner table needs! Beef short ribs are slow cooked with sweet onions and bacon is a savory chipotle sauce.
Chipotle Braised Short Rib Tacos
Things are finally getting settled around the casa and this weekend I made the trek back to the old neighborhood to visit the farmers market. It was great to see everyone after missing the last three weeks! Not to mention it is nice to have fresh local produce back in the casa kitchen.
[bctt tweet=”Chipotle Braised Short Rib Tacos #tacoTuesday #hungry #spicy #beef “]
Over the last year things have changed drastically for us financially and we have really had to tighten our budget. Back in the day I was able to buy the majority of our meat at the market, but it just isn’t feasible anymore. Now we eat what I can find on sale or marked down… Which usually means lots of pork and chicken.
But we really needed a treat so I splurged on a pack of beef short ribs from Circle Key Farms recently. They were on sale and by using them in a taco recipe I knew I could really make them stretch. Adding a ton of fresh local veggies is good for our budget, and waistline! lol
Slow cooking them in my trusty cast iron skillet was a brilliant idea. And so was adding half a pound of bacon. I cooked the bacon first, then seared the short ribs in the fat. Lastly the onions and chipotles sautéed in all the drippings and it was absolutely heavenly!
Once slow cooked the beef just fell apart, and the onions just melted in. See those beautiful bits of bacon… It took our ribs about 3 and a half hours to cook but all ovens are not made the same.
You might need to braise them longer. Just make sure to check on them occasionally. Add more stock as needed to keep them covered about half way.
As always adjust the amount of chipotles based on your heat preference. We like ’em spicy so I added quite a few. If you really want to tone things down just use the adobe sauce rather than any actual peppers. For the toppings I went with shredded cabbage, radishes and cilantro with a dash of hot sauce.
How would you top your Chipotle Braised Short Rib Tacos?
- ½ pound bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 chipotle peppers, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Taco toppings
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate, set aside.
- Generously salt and pepper beef. Sear on all sides, set aside on a plate.
- Add onions, chipotle peppers and spices to skillet. Cook 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Pour in stock and scrape bit off bottom of skillet.
- Add bacon and beef back to skillet.
- Cover loosely with foil and place skillet in oven. Braise 3-4 hours until beef is tender and falls apart. Adjust cooking time as needed.
- Shred beef, discard bones and add beef back to skillet.
- Serve on corn tortillas with desired toppings.