Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies ~ Delicate, buttery shortbread cookies with a hint of almond dipped in rich, dark chocolate.
This year I am partnering with a bunch of talented bloggers for a virtual cookie swap! Meeting new people is truly the best part of blogging. Whether it is getting to know you folks, or chatting with fellow bloggers like my cookie partner Gina from Kleinworth & Co., it is all about the people. And delicious treats like these Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies!
[bctt tweet=”Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies #2015cookieswap #holiday #cookies”]
When one of my fave #bosslady bloggers, Cathy from Our Mini Family, said she was teaming with the awesome likes of Bread Booze Bacon, Home. Made. Interest., It’s A Keeper, Cooking on the Front Burner and Create. Craft. Love to co-host this cookie swap I jumped at the chance to take part. I was a little intimidated at first though because I am not much of a baker. Sure I can manage the basics but even simple concepts like pie crust make me nervous. When I got the email with my recipe I was even more intimidated. Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies sound absolutely amazing, but complicated! The recipe looked simple but anytime we are talking about lots of butter my spidey sense tingles. If you lived in Arizona like I do, where butter goes from ice to cold to a melted puddle in mere minutes most of the year, you would get twitchy too. Hence my earlier pie crust anxiety.
~ Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies ~
Well the good news is… I was completely overreacting! This recipe is as easy as it is delicious. The kid and I whipped up the dough, wrapped it and got it into the freezer in no time. I will admit I needed to finish this post yesterday, but the day really got away with me. See, my baby turns 18 next week and we have been busy with adulting activities… like his first job, a new bank account and impending finals. So basically the dough sat in the fridge overnight but bake beautifully. Makes me think you could prepare this ahead of time or even keep a log in the freezer for last minutes treats. A hint~ melt your chocolate in a microwave safe mug, it makes dipping the cookies easier. Make sure to check out the other delicious recipes in the 2015 cookie swap! Enjoy~ Loriann
Chocolate Amaretto Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature, 2 sticks
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon amaretto liquor
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted or aerated – scooped and leveled
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ) In a large mixing bowl, using mixer, beat butter, sugar, amaretto, salt until smooth and creamy.
- ) With mixer on low speed, add flour and mix until dough forms.
- ) Form dough into a rectangular log (or 2 rectangular logs). Wrap each log in plastic wrap. Once the log is wrapped in plastic wrap, it is easier to continue shaping it as a more perfectly shaped rectangular log. Freeze the log for 40 minutes in freezer, then 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- ) Preheat oven to 325. Using sharp knife, cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices, place them on un-greased baking sheet 1 inch apart. Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes.
- ) Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- ) Once cooled - place chocolate chips in double boiler & melt, stirring well
- ) Once chocolate is melted, dip half of each cookie in the chocolate to coat just one side - leaving the other side plain
- ) Place on baking sheet until chocolate has hardened & then store in airtight container