Enjoy these Creamy Pork Verde Empanadas full of tender pork, salsa verde and tangy sour cream while celebrating the season with friends and loved ones.
~ Creamy Pork Verde Empanadas ~
Part of being in a multicultural blended family is learning new traditions and sharing personal holiday experiences from the past. Since Paul and I began our relationship I have had the joy of spending time with his extended family during this time of year.
[bctt tweet=”Creamy Pork Verde Empanadas #HERDEZ #LasPosadas ooh.li/40bc93f ad”]
It has been a wonderful experience listening to his Tias tell stories about the Las Posadas holiday celebrations of their youth, sharing their experiences with new generations. That first year Paul explained how Las Posadas is a 9-day Mexican Christmas tradition based on the journey of Mary and Joseph and their search for an inn before the birth of Jesus.
From December 16-24 each year people gather to celebrate at a different home each night; with hosts representing ‘innkeepers’ offering guests shelter. The evening’s host family provides Las Posadas food—an essential element to the festivities. Whether you are hosting your own traditional celebration or are simply looking for recipes to enhance the holiday season, HERDEZ® offers delicious authentic Mexican flavors your family and friends will love.
When we are able to visit Paul’s extended family sharing food is an essential part of the experience and I love to create dishes inspired by his upbringing. These Creamy Pork Verde Empanadas are always a hit and perfect for a festive party atmosphere.
Made with HERDEZ® Salsa Verde, tender pork and tangy sour cream your guests will be begging you for the recipe. You can fry them with is the authentic preparation or bake them for a healthier version. They are perfect for dipping in HERDEZ® Salsa Casera!
Be sure to enter the HERDEZ® Share the Magic of #MisPosadas photo contest on Instagram for the chance to win one of the following~
Grand Prize: Dinner prepared by a personal chef for up to 4 people in your very own home!
2nd Place: $250 Gift Basket
3rd Place: $200 Gift Basket
Honorable Mention: Custom T-shirts
How do you celebrate Las Posadas? Share your family stories in the comments!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean pork stew meat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 cup salsa verde
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 boxes prepared pie crust
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- For the filling~
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pork and cook until almost done. Remove and roughly chop into small pieces.
- Add onions and jalapeno to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in salsa verde and chicken stock.
- Add pork back to skillet. Simmer on low until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, simmer 3-4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For the empanadas~
- Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Roll pie crust out on a lightly floured surface. Use a biscuit cutter or glass to cut 4-inch circles of dough.
- Place a small scoop of filling in center of dough.
- Brush egg wash around outer edge of dough. Fold in half and pinch edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Heat oil for frying in a large Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Working in batches, fry empanadas until golden brown. 3-4 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet and serve hot.