Creamy Tomato Skillet Mac and Cheese ~ Tender pasta in a creamy tomato cheese sauce topped with panko breadcrumbs.
~ Creamy Tomato Skillet Mac and Cheese ~
With the holidays over you would think things were set to calm down around the casa… but of course that isn’t going to happen for a few more weeks. Because we are jumping full force into packing!
[bctt tweet=”Creamy Tomato Skillet Mac and Cheese #skilletmeals #dinner #hungry”]
Yep, that’s right… we are moving at the beginning of February. It is a little outside the neighborhood but we are getting twice the space for less money. It is a dream to be out of an apartment for the first time in over 15 years.
And don’t even get me started on the floor to ceiling custom storage in the 2 car garage. Or the beautifully manicured beltway we can see from the expansive second-floor balcony off the master bedroom. Toss in marble countertops and 2 gas fireplaces and this is one happy gal!
Since we are already starting to sort through cabinets, easy meals are all I have time and space for. We have 5 weeks to eat our way through the overflow of pantry items stockpiled in the backroom. I foresee plenty of skillet meals with rice, beans and/or pastas. Combine them with fresh produce from the farmers market and we are good to go.
Mac and cheese is an iconic dish prepared a multitude of ways by people across the country. I have had stove top versions, baked delicacies and recipes with a million different add-ins.
During my time in the Army I was introduced to a particular southern delight, it is topped with thick slices of fresh tomatoes and buttery breadcrumbs. This Creamy Tomato Skillet Mac and Cheese mimics those flavors.
Share your favorite kind of mac and cheese in the comments.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shell pasta
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1¼ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- ⅓ cup half and half
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, tomatoes and oregano. Cook 6-8 minutes until tender.
- Stir in pasta and chicken stock.
- Bring to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 8 minutes.
- Mix in half and half, 1 cup Monterey Jack and Fontina cheeses. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place under broiler 2-3 minutes until browned and bubbly. Serve hot.