This Easy la Catrina Cookie Craft puts a fun twist on a traditional sugar cookie recipe by using crushed cinnamon sugar cereal in the dough.
While crushed fruity cereal makes a fun and colorful decoration for small hands.
Easy la Catrina Cookie Craft
I’ve always looked at Dia de los Muertos as a fun holiday for dressing up for and having fun with friends.
[bctt tweet= Easy Catrina Cookie Craft #dayofthedead #baking #family #recipetwist” username=”thyme4cocktails”]
After marrying Paul the holiday took on a new meaning as I learned more about his family’s culture. As a second-generation Mexican-American it is important to honor traditions.
This Easy la Catrina Cookie Craft is a mash-up of the cookie recipe my mom made during the holidays and the tradition of making Catrina dolls for Dia de los Muertos.
We have been supporting Cereal con Cariño, exclusive 4-part video series featuring El Guzi and other bloggers like Jeanette Kapun and Juan of the Words, sponsored by General Mills.
Their cereals have been a staple in the casa kitchen for years.
I decided to add 2 of our favorites and make this Easy la Catrina Cookie Craft for the niños to make.
It has Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the cookie dough and we loved the added sweetness of the cookies.
Plus I added more cinnamon and a little cayenne for spice.
Just make sure you chill the dough really well, preferably overnight. I made these cookies in the 95+ degree weather we are still having in AZ and the dough was very soft.
As for the crushed Trix topping, it’s a colorful and inexpensive way for the little ones to decorate their cookies. Decorating sprinkles for 20+ kids can get pricey!
We gave them inexpensive foam brushes from the craft store to brush on the egg wash. Encourage your kids to get creative!
How do you celebrate Cereal con Cariño and Dia de la Muertos?
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup crushed cinnamon sugar cereal
- Crushed cereal for decoration
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add 2 eggs one at a time, beat to fully incorporate.
- Mix in vanilla and spices.
- Beat in baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add crushed cereal and flour, mixing until combined.
- Chill at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface. Cut cookies with desired cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Working in batches, bake cookie 5-6 minutes until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Whisk remaining egg with a little water in a small bowl.
- Brush cooled cookies with egg wash and decorated as desired.