Green Chile Scalloped Potatoes ~ A southwest spin on one of my favorite fall dishes. Tender potatoes in a creamy green chile béchamel sauce topped with melty pepper jack cheese.
Growing up scalloped potatoes were always one of my favorite dishes. There is just something delicious about a bite full of creamy, tender potatoes topped with melty cheese. [bctt tweet=”Green Chile Scalloped Potatoes ~ #sidedish #fall #food #spicy”] I can remember my mom leaving them in the oven just a little too long so that the cheese would almost burn around the edges… that was the best part! When I saw the topic for this month;s 12 Blogger round-up I was tickled. Why not give my favorite potato dish a southwest kick by adding green chiles and tons of spicy pepper jack cheese. Green chiles add a ton of flavor without them being overwhelming. I mean they have to compete with these other amazing potato recipes… What is your favorite potato dish? Loriann
Green Chile Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes sliced thin
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 small yellow onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 4-ounce cans green chiles
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 18 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Grate onion and garlic into saucepan, cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in green chiles and cook 2 more minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute until slightly golden.
- Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Layer 1/3 of potatoes in bottom of casserole dish, pour 1/3 of sauce over potatoes, Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cheese, bake another 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly.
~ 12 Months, 12 Bloggers, 12 Recipes ~
Don’t forget to check out these other scrumptious potato recipes~
- Broccoli and Cheese Hasselback Potatoes by Big Bear’s Wife
- Potato Bread by Betsy Life
- Spiced Sweet Potato Skewers by Home Cooking Memories
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes by Cooking on the Front Burner
- Garlic Parmesan Parslied Potato Stacks by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Green Chile Scalloped Potatoes by Thyme for Cocktails
- Two-Tone Scalloped Potatoes by Bread Booze Bacon
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole by A Night Owl
- Loaded Tater Tot Bake by Pink Cake Plate
- Bacon Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes by I Love My Disorganized Life
- Sweet Potato Casserole by See Vanessa Craft
- Loaded Slow Cooker Potatoes by Around My Family Table