This Iced Café de Olla is sweetened with cane sugar and has hints of orange peel and cinnamon. Inspired by a traditional cafe Mexicano this drink is easy to make with a flavorful simple syrup and instant coffee.
Iced Café de Olla
Paul and I are very different when it comes to coffee. He likes his strong and hot with just a little sugar and cream. I prefer iced brews with tons of flavors and add-ins. He says they aren’t really coffee. I say he has no imagination! [bctt tweet=”Iced Café de Olla #coffee #morning #Mondaymotivation” username=”thyme4cocktails”] But we both agree a good cup of joe starts with the joe. We have always used your standard medium to dark roast brewed coffee, except when we go camping. That’s when I bring along instant coffee to make things a little easier. When I heard about the NESCAFÉ Taster’s Choice Coffee Challenge I knew it was time to streamline my morning routine and trying something new! I have been walking a few miles each morning and this Iced Café de Olla is the perfect post-workout pick me up! I made a batch of the simple syrup using cane sugar, orange peel and cinnamon over the weekend which gives my NESCAFÉ® Taster’s Choice® a sweet kick. The syrup will last for a week or 2 in the refrigerator so I can make my iced coffee on the go. See when you visit the casa even the coffee has a south of the border spice. Because everything is better with a twist! Enjoy~ Loriann
Iced Café de Olla
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 2-inch strips of fresh orange zest
- Desired amount of coffee cooled
- Place sugar, water, cinnamon stick and orange zest in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Combine desired amount of coffee and simple syrup, serve over ice.