Put an Italian spin on your favorite Southern comfort food with this delicious Italian Style Chicken Fried Steak. Italian breaded cube steak smothered in a creamy homestyle roasted garlic tomato sauce and melty cheese over pasta.
Italian Style Chicken Fried Steak
If your family is anything like mine it is tough for everyone to agree on what they want for dinner. Paul is notoriously lacks creative ideas, while the kid typically goes for the same things i.e. pasta, mac & cheese, anything buffalo chicken, etc. while I am usually the one with a definite craving.
[bctt tweet=”Italian Style Chicken Fried Steak #dinner #Homestylesauces #simmeredintradition” username=”thyme4cocktails”]
A few weeks ago we took the kid out for his graduation dinner to a little homestyle restaurant that specializes in classic comfort food. He had their amazing buttermilk breaded chicken tenders while I had an excellent club sandwich. Paul opted for their BBQ burger loaded with crispy onion straws and homemade pickles.
On the way out we all caught sight of another diner enjoying a huge plate of chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. All it took was one side long glance from my husband and I knew we were in trouble.
Traditional chicken fried steak was a dish I learn to make during my time in Army, living in southern Alabama. My mom made it while I was a kid but nothing compares to the real deal you find in the South. I make a fun southwest twist with a creamy green chile gravy but it’s been awhile.
So why not try an Italian version with RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce. It’s a southern twist on chicken parmesan the guys fell in love with! I added Italian salad dressing to the egg mixture when I dredged the cube steak to reinforce the Italian flavor profile.
The gravy is thick, rich RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce with half and half to add creaminess. Serve with a simple side salad topped with my Peperoncini Vinaigrette and dinner is ready!
What is your favorite RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauce?
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 eggs
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 4 cube steaks
- 1 pound bucatini or spaghetti pasta
- 1 cup Ragu Homestyle Roasted Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup grate mozzarella cheese
- Chopped basil for garnish
- Heat 1 inch oil to 350 degrees in a large skillet.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place Italian dressing in a separate dish.
- Dip cube steaks in dressing, then coat in flour. Repeat process for a second coat.
- Carefully place steaks in oil, fry 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain when cooked.
- While pasta cooks drain oil from skillet, leaving any browned bits.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add pasta sauce and half and half. Simmer 5-6 minutes until slightly thickened.
- To serve place cube steaks on pasta, top with sauce, grated cheese and basil.