Start the new year with my healthy, vegetarian Kale and Green Pea Shoot Pesto. Earthy kale and tender pea shoots with walnuts, garlic and sweet Asiago cheese. The holidays are behind us and everyone is thinking about what to change in the new year, for many that is eating healthier. Now that I am working for On the Vine Farms, LLC each week at the farmers market I get a CSA share. Lately we have had an abundance of kale and micro-greens so I have been looking for ways to incorporate them into new recipes. The idea of a simple, flavorful pesto was perfect. [bctt tweet=”Kale and Green Pea Shoot Pesto #glutenfree #vegetarian #pesto #foodie”] My mother-in-law Linda was coming into town for the holidays and I knew she was likely to appreciate this dish more than the guys, they are meat and potato men. I LOVE when she comes to visit. Usually I am the only girl in the casa and all that testosterone gets to be a bit much sometimes. When she is here we break out the cocktails, chat about books, food and family… Plus she shares my love of country music. She calls me LIL- her lush-in-law! lol While researching different kinds of pesto I knew I had walnuts in the freezer which are a good pairing with kale pesto (the internet says so) but no parmesan cheese. I did have it’s slightly sweeter cousin Asiago cheese though. The lemon juice paired with the green pea shoots created a clean, refreshing taste. You can easily substitute any other shoots, sprouts or micro-greens you have on hand. The result is an earthy pesto with a hint of tanginess. Toss the pesto with your favorite pasta, garnish it with a little grated Asiago cheese and few tablespoons of chopped walnuts for crunch. Enjoy~ the new Mrs. B
Kale and Green Pea Shoot Pesto
- 2 cups packed roughly chopped kale
- 1 cup packed green pea shoots
- 3-4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely grated Asiago cheese plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a food process or blender add kale and pea shoots; pulse 10-12 times.
- Add chopped garlic, walnuts and lemon juice; pulse until finely chopped.
- While pulsing drizzle in extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in grated cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss desired amount with pasta of choice.