Practice sustainable, root to stem cooking when you make this Pesto Grilled Carrots recipe for your next cookout. The carrot top pesto has hints of roasted garlic and fresh, bright lemon flavors your guests will love.
This post is in collaboration with some of my favorite food bloggers- check out #MemorialDayGrillFest during this week and next for awesome summer cookout recipes! You are going to love what these ladies are cooking up.
Pesto Grilled Carrots Recipe
Let’s talk about sustainability today. You folks know I am a big farmers market gal, part of that is not only knowing where our food comes from, but also that we aren’t wasting any of it. When you know your farmer, food becomes more personal and you are less likely to let it go to waste. At least that is how it is for me, so I try to get to most from my produce.
Carrot tops are a fresh, tasty way to make pesto and really practice root to stem cooking. This recipe for Pesto Grilled Carrots requires very little ‘cooking’ though. I thought about grilling the carrots whole, but wanted to maximize the grilled flavors so went with sliced carrots instead.
I tossed them in homemade garlic oil, then grilled for about 8 minutes on each side. The pesto has more of the roasted garlic oil, as well as a few of the cloves. The rich, sweet garlic flavor is an excellent balance to the hints of lemon and mint in the pesto. I did skip adding any cheese to the pesto like I normally do in my Carrot Top Pesto, instead keeping this recipe vegetarian. Feel free to add a little Parmesan or Asiago if you want to! It is delicious on toast too.
What is your favorite root to stem dish? How have you been reducing food waste?
Pesto Topped Grilled Carrots
- 1 pound fresh carrots tops attached
- 3/4 cup roasted garlic olive oil divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 2-3 mint leafs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Remove carrot tops, set aside. Cut carrots into 1 inch slices. Toss with 2-3 tablespoons garlic oil.
- Place carrots in grill pan, cook 8-9 minutes on each side until tender.
- Trim excess stems from carrot tops. Place fronds in a food processor with garlic, lemon juice, and pine nuts. Pulse to combine. Slowly drizzle in remaining oil while pulsing.
- Toss grilled carrots with desired amount of pesto. Serve immediately. Garnish with additional lemons slices.