These Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies made with reduce condensed sweetened milk are chewy, sweet and have a hint of saltiness.
I have been on a big baking kick lately, my days have been filled with developing new cookie recipes. I have to say that these Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies are by far my favorite…so far at least. They are chewy, sweet and have a hint of saltiness! Some of my favorite things all rolled into one.
Dulce de Leche vs Caramel
Dulce de leche is often mistaken for caramel but it is in fact completely different. The literal translation is ‘candy of milk’ which is made by slowly heating sweetened milk. Caramel on the other hand is made from cooking sugar. If you can’t find dulce de leche at your local grocery store it is really easy to make at home if you have a can of condensed milk. I have been told that this is the perfect cookie for ice cream sandwiches and I have to say I agree completely!
Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dulce de leche substitute caramel sauce
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sea salt for finishing
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together for 4-5 minutes. Add dulce de leche and beat 2-3 more minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Drop 1 tablespoon sized spoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake 11-13 minutes until lightly browned. Cool cookies 5-6 minutes on baking sheets then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
I hope you like this Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies as much as I do! If you love this fun cookie recipe, you can find more like it by checking out my Dessert section! For recipe inspiration delivered to your inbox, subscribe to my newsletter, follow my photography journey on Instagram, and for generally inappropriate humor follow like me on Facebook!