Sweet marries smokey in the best Slow Cooker Sweet Bourbon Pork Chili recipe you’ve ever had. Locally made sweet bourbon pork sausage adds a unique layer of flavor to this hearty, tomato-based 2 bean chili.
So far Paul and I are adapting to life in Columbus. It is easy to forget we moved at all on the days we spend relaxing around the room. Then you have the days we go out exploring, and our new local smacks us right in the face.
Slow Cooker Sweet Bourbon Pork Chili
The sweetest girl at our storage facility gave me some insight about the local grocery store situation in our neighborhood. When you are a foodie, you need to know where to shop folks. She told me about several international markets, as well as a regional, farmers market type grocery store nearby.
It is the type of place I love, with a nice selection of bulk items, seasonal produce, and house-made sausages. In fact, their house-made sweet bourbon sausage is the what inspired me to make this Slow Cooker Sweet Bourbon Pork Chili recipe. It reminds me of baked beans, or slow-cooked brown sugar barbecue.
Slow cooker chili is a great recipe for us, one because of the chilly weather, and two because of our tiny space. I was just telling a girlfriend that I need to write a series of articles about tiny living. Is that something you folks would like to read? We can be the only couple downsizing, right? Even though I guess it would also resonate with younger couples just starting out, roommates, or just about anyone living, and cooking, in a small space!
We topped this Slow Cooker Sweet Bourbon Pork Chili with a spicy sriracha mayo and fresh chopped cilantro. Thinly sliced green onion, grated pepper jack cheese, and finely diced red onion would also be great toppings.
The Best Slow Cooker Sweet Bourbon Pork Chili Recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet bourbon pork sausage casings removed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- 3 cloves garic minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup light beer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto bean drained and rinsed
- Heat oil a large skillet over medium hight heat. Add sausage, break up with a wooden spoon or spatula, and cook 6-7 minutes until browned. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon, add to slow cooker.
- Add ground beef to skillet, break up and cook 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, place in slow cooker.
- Place remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cook on low 4-5 hours or on high 2-3 hours.
- Optional method: Add onion, carrot, and garlic to skillet, cook 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Mix in chili powder, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Sauté 1-2 minutes. Add mixture to slow cooker. Sir remaining ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low 3-4 hours or on high 1-2 hours.
- Serve hot with desired toppings. Can be served for an extended time from slow cooker set to lowest setting.