These Supreme Pizza Waffle Nachos have all the flavors and toppings of your favorite pizza without the delivery charge. Waffled pizza crisps topped with Italian sausage, green bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, and black olives in a roasted garlic marinara sauce then smothered with melty mozzarella cheese.
If you are anything like me and Paul, pizza is your delivery meal of choice. Normally we like to splurge once a month, it gives me a break from the casa kitchen, and hubby is in charge of the clean up.
Supreme Pizza Waffle Nachos
The last few weeks have been filled with take-out or resorting to drive thru food while we relocate to Ohio, so when the pizza bug hit I had to drop the hammer. It’s was time to break in our new kitchenette.
[bctt tweet=”Supreme Pizza Waffle Nachos #pizza #waffle #nachos” username=”thyme4cocktails”]
The only problem, we have no oven. So how in the world do you satisfy a pizza craving with no delivery and no major appliances?
I have 2 words for you. Waffle. Iron.
Yep, we have waffled leftover pizza in a pinch, so why not waffle pizza dough, and then pile the toppings on! It is pure genius folks.
This idea is great for anyone living in tight quarters. Think dorm rooms, military barracks or your mama’s basement. Ok, hopefully you don’t live there, but if you do, you can still make these Supreme Pizza Waffle Nachos.
I used prepared pizza dough, a ton of fresh veggies and our favorite Homestyle RAGÚ® sauce.
The sauce recipe made more than we could eat in one sitting, so we repurposed the sauce into sliders!
The Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic flavor is a great compliment to the peppers, onions, mushrooms, black olives. It’s the same sauce I use in my Spinach and Chorizo Stuffed Shells.
Paul commented after the fact we should have added pepperoni to the mix, but I was pretty darn happy with the Italian sausage.
Depending on the size of your waffle iron, the dough is the most time consuming part of this recipe. I highly suggest you work as a team, if possible, and have 1 person make the pizza crisps while the other whips up the sauce.
And if you like different veggies on your pizza, feel free to mix it up. Just don’t overcook the sauce. You want the veggies to still be somewhat firm.
Supreme Pizza Waffle Nachos
- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1+ cup marinara sauce adjust for desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Cut dough into approximately 2 inch by 2 inch pieces. Working in batches, waffle dough until crispy. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage, break up with spatula or wooden spoon. Cook 5-6 minutes.
- Add vegetables, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in sauce. Salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- Place a layer of pizza crisps on a microwave safe plate. Top with desired amount of sauce and cheese. Repeat layer.
- Microwave 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with more fresh vegetables if desired. Serve immediately.