Turkey Taco Joes
The kid had a friend spend the night last week so the boys could go to soldier training together the next morning. His bestie is still in high school but considering a military career so they are having fun doing drills and PT. [bctt tweet=”Turkey Taco Joes #tacoTuesday #sloppyjoe #lunch” username=”thyme4cocktails”] It’s a great way for kids to get an idea of the physical demands of training. I can see the physical changes the kid is going to experience while he is in basic. His face is starting to fill out, shoulders are getting broader and he’s decide not to shave until he leaves! I needed a lunch that would fill them up once they were home and these Turkey Taco Joes fit the bill. I adore a good sloppy joe but sometimes you just want a taco. Ok, well I guess around the casa kitchen people always want tacos! lol And Turkey Taco Joes were born. Plus I just like the way it sounds. Lean, mean and full of flavor these sandwiches are sure to be a hit with your family! Enjoy~ Loriann
Turkey Taco Joes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons red pepper tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and peppers, salt lightly. Saute 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in turkey, cook 3-4 minutes.Break up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Stir in garlic, honey, taco seasoning and tomato paste. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cider vinegar, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce and stock, bring to a low boil. Reduce heat, simmer 8-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Serve on hard rolls with toppings of choice.